HW address w/o connection in iphlpapi

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 23:44:45 CST 2006

> Right. if_nameindex does not return eth0 if I boot up without an
> ethernet connection. Maybe this is a system dependent thing?
> I am running on a RH8 based system.

Or a libc thing?  I'm running on FC2.

> The if_nameindex code looked a little nicer, but a loop on
> if_indextoname() is  not so bad.

Although I don't like the idea of predefined limits :)  I'll probably
submit a patch based on if_nameindex in the meantime, hopefully tomorrow
if Alexandre commits the patch I already sent today.  It removes a lot of
the silliness of ifenum.c, so aside from not directly solving your
problem, take a look at that and perhaps patch it.

--Juan