Problems with references to drive Z: in registry's User Shell Folders

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jan 25 02:43:27 CST 2006

Hi,

when shell32.dll is registered during wineprefixcreate, it puts a lot of paths
based on Z:\ in HKLM/HKCU
Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders.
This is due to resolving CIDL_PERSONAL to the DOS path corresponding to
$HOME.

If people remove the Z: drive afterwards, this leads to a lot problems (One
being that the Desktop shellfolder won't initialize any more, which breaks
the complete shell namespace and thus the file dialogs).

I'm proposing to add two more environment variables: %PERSONAL%, which would
be expanded to the DOS path corresponding to $HOME if this exists, or to
%USERPROFILE%\\My Documents if not (with "My Documents" resource based, of
course). And %DESKTOP%, which would be expanded to
DOS_PATH_OF($HOME)\\Desktop if existent and to %USERPROFILE%\\Desktop, if
not.

Does someone see a problem with this approach?

Bye,
--
Michael Jung
mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de