Global hooks problems (WH_MOUSE_LL)

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Wed Jan 25 05:06:56 CST 2006

Vitaliy Margolen [wine-devel at kievinfo.com] wrote:

> So my question is to anyone who knows. What is the proper way
> to deliver
> these messages to global hooks that are in a different thread/process?

Just an observation I did in a Windows program running under WinXP.
Not sure if this is related somehow but it seems quite like the opposite
of what you describe here although with windows message hooks.

I had a program that was hooking window messages for a particular window.
When using SendMessage from the same thread as in which the Windows message
loop was running (doesn't make much sense of course but it was just for
testing purposes) I could not receive any events above WM_USER, lower
events did seem to get received properly though. When placing SendMessage
in a different thread the events did come through.

Not exactly sure yet what this is all about but message handling and
especially hooking in Windows for sure can be a tricky business.

Rolf Kalbermatter