[AppDB] Problem with xinha, compile_update_string() and query_parameters()

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 17:50:29 CDT 2006

> > So, the fix is quite simple, stop using compile_insert_string() and
> > compile_update_string() and let query_parameters() do the work.  This
> > way we can be sure that we won't be inserting strings with special
> > formatting characters into the format portion of the
> > query_parameters() call.
> >
> > I'll take care of fixing this as soon as I get back home.
> >
> > Chris
>
> I was not really comfortable with that solution. compile_update_string was very
> nice for aligning the field with the value so it looked very clean. The trouble
> with doing it this way is that it is more prone to errors but if you say that is
> OK with  you then I suppose it will do for me too.

I agree about the formatting.  It was easier to line things up with
the other external call to compile_*_string().

It may seem more prone to errors but this is how pear db, adodb, .net
and others recommend performing queries.  query_parameters() will
ensure that the correct number of tokens is present for the number of
variables provided so if there is a mismatch the query won't be
executed.

I think the formatting you chose looks good and is just as good as
what we had before.

Chris