Semantics, shaders, and fixups

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 06:35:41 CDT 2006

H. Verbeet wrote:
>> By the way, I am still keeping that fake semantic around - it is useful
>> - it allows me to have a single code path for loading arrays, instead of
>> the two we currently have, which is a mess..
> Well, it is wrong.
How is it wrong?
In one case you have a semantic, and you use that to load up the correct
register (query shader, shader gives you the index to load). In the
other case you preinitialize the semantics with the declaration register
numbers - it's all the same thing really. I know this works, because
I've already written the code.

Now, for the color fix, I agree with you - that part needs to be
different for d3d8 vs d3d9 - that's the part that didn't work. Changes
I've made also put the decision for whether something is color or not in
its own function, instead of copying that for each backend. We just need
to edit the function accordingly.
>  Keep in mind though
> that the d3d8 path was added specifically to fix the problem you
> described earlier :-).
I remember a bunch of dead code that looked like it was trying to write
to arrayUsageMap, but wasn't actually writing anything :)