wine's fullscreen code has no effect on metacity

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Thu Jul 6 23:30:12 CDT 2006

"Havoc Pennington" <hp at redhat.com> wrote:

> We used to have a "strict spec compliance"/"disable workarounds" mode in
> metacity and it was unusable unless you ran GTK/Qt apps exclusively,
> pretty much.
>
> While my memory is too fuzzy to point to specific bugs, I'd be willing
> to bet that I added more than one little hack inspired by WINE, which
> used to be unaware of EWMH and perhaps a bit sketchier than Qt/GTK on
> the older ICCCM behaviors too.
>
> Anyway, few WM bugs can be resolved by appeal to specifications alone...

Ok, let's appeal to the fact that Wine's fullscreen stuff works in KDE and
doesn't in GNOME :-) If you could point out what Wine is doing in wrong way
I'm all ears.

>> Also the fact that a window isn't resizeable means only that it's not
>> supposed
>> to be resizeable by a user, still allowing to resize it programmatically.
>
> In practice the geometry hints are widely treated as strict constraints
> honored for all configure requests from any source. Most WMs ignore them
> at least sometimes though, e.g. ignoring the size increments when
> maximizing is a common choice.
>
> If nothing else, in modern desktops it's quite hard to tell which
> configure requests are user-originated and which are not.

That one is simple: if a request is being originated by a user interaction
it's a user's request and might be restricted; if it's a result of an API
call it's done programmatically and should be executed by all means.

--
Dmitry.