wine's fullscreen code has no effect on metacity

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 10:08:37 CDT 2006

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> An algorithm in Wine which asks a WM to activate fullscreen state for
> a window is quite simple: it checks the size of a just resized visible
> window and if it's equal or larger than screen size sends an event to
> a WM. We are trying to understand at the moment why metacity sometimes
> ignores such a request: window size and visibility should not be a reason
> for it (except if metacity expects a window to have exactly same size as
> the screen has, not larger than that), probably window decorations or
> something else do.

Currently what appears to be triggering the issue in metacity is that
the window's minimum and maximum size are also changed, such that the
window is not resizable. There's an exception to this rule if the window
is already fullscreen-size, but the exception kicks in only for
undecorated windows.

I'd try just removing the !decorated line from metacity, or testing this
theory by building a version of WINE that disables decorations in this
case, just to see if it helps.

> On the related note: any idea why adding _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE to a window
> makes it cover the GNOME dock, but GNOME top panel still remains on the
> top?

afaik the top and bottom panels should always be in the same layer (so
both above or both below). Elijah would know better though.

ABOVE windows can be below the panels if they don't have focus iirc.

Havoc