Possible bug in WINE or NDISWRAPPER

Jacob Reynoldson jacob.reynoldson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 23:32:03 CDT 2006

Greetings!

First off, let me say that I recently switched to Ubuntu Linux from WinXP,
and with Wine powering the only Windows program I ever used (that doesnt
have a Linux version like Firefox, GAIM, OO.o, etc), and I couldnt be
happier.  Secondly, I apologize for contacting in this manner, since the FAQ
says this is where suggestions go, so I hope this is where you want this
comment.  Now on to what I believe might be a repeatable bug.

Setup: Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper), fully updated as of 7/7/2006.  D-Link wireless
USB DWL-G132.  Wine 0.9.16 (current).

I have been using NDISWRAPPER to use my wireless device, a Dlink DWL-G132.
I have not had any trouble with this device since I got it running in Linux.

Wine has been running without error, and the programs I have been running
are AORC+ (1.0.56 version), and Anarchy Online (Fully upgraded, all
expansions).  I am able to achieve 20-60 FPS with Anarchy Online, which
rivals my Windows Install (but I am running only 16 bit graphics to do it).

The issue is this:  I am uncertain which is the culprate (my guess is
NDISWRAPPER), but when I run Anarchy Online for more than a few minutes, my
network cuts out (the program doesnt close or crash), and I am unable to
reconnect to the Internet using any method I know (Soft reboot Gnome,
removing Wine from memory, disabling and re-enabling the wireless device).
To reconnect, I have to reboot.

When I run off of my ethernet card (Nvidia Nforce2, on board), everything
runs flawlessly until I chose to quit.

Since I am unable to isolate (given my current toolset) whether it is Wine
or Ndiswrapper, it appears that the interaction between the two buckle under
the strain of playing a MMO... unless my wireless device is faulty.  I have
not had these troubles in Windows XP (Service Pack 2), and Wine works fine
when I run from my ethernet port.

I hope this is useful, I just wasnt sure who needed to be contacted in
regards to this possible conflict.

Sincerely,

Jacob Reynoldson, new Ubuntu convert.

--