0.9.17 and other issues

n0dalus n0dalus+wine at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 05:49:26 CDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Roland Kaeser <roli8200 at yahoo.de> wrote:
> By all respect of all the hard work the developers make all day. But to see
> the changes in 0.9.17 makes me really angry. Is everybody developing for the
> gamers?  Whats the focus of the wine development? Currently I have many
> bugzilla bugs open to be fixed to get business applications running. And I
> can see while testing my 10 application with every release that nothing had
> changed on the business apps.  All of them are the same unstable, or
> installable or some bugs else (see printing issues etc). I know thats cool
> developing gaming features but THAT CANNOT BE THE GOAL!!!!!  In the offices
> I support  as admin/sys engineer, we are all waiting for wine becomes stable
> enough to get the business apps running to switch to linux completely. But
> all I can see is that all the bugs are already there from release to
> release! But on every release I read some things about DirectX, Gaming
> Support etc. Whould it not be better just to fix the existing bugs before
> developping new ones? All the people I know WANT TO RUN THEIR BUSINESS APPS
> ON LINUX. Nobody wants run games. So my question again: WHATS THE FOCUS OF
> THE WINE DEVELOPMENT????

Don't be angry because volunteer developers are doing what interests
them. You'll find that the paid wine (codeweavers) developers do a lot
of work to get business applications working under wine, while the
volunteer developers do whatever interests them at the time (often
games). These people have great skills to contribute to wine, even if
it's in an area you think should not be a goal.

If you want to get more business applications working in wine, you are
welcome to contribute to that yourself. Submit patches, or donate
money or software to developers. Write letters to businesses
registering your interest in having their applications run in wine or
Linux. Help do quality assurance; find and report bugs for these
applications, and write tests for wine to run. There are many things
you can do to help. The other developers are already helping with what
they do best.

n0dalus.