Iprovements around conventional CD protections....

Plamen Hristov plamen_h_x at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 08:51:32 CDT 2006

This days I write a small toll ,that simulate some standart copy-protection
methods common used in games.Here is the result:

Inside wine with CD in drive:
Proceed with drive e:
Drive Type: CD-ROM
Drive size = 729,694,208 bytes
Drive is Read-Only
Volume Label: KNOPPIX
Volume Serial Number: 216658985
File System Type: CDFS
File System Properties...
...supports long file names

I/O error 19
Write errors present!

Inside windows with CD in drive:
Proceed with drive d:

Drive Type: CD-ROM

Drive size = 729 694 208 bytes

Drive is Read-Only

Volume Label: KNOPPIX

Volume Serial Number: 216658985

File System Type: CDFS

File System Properties...

...supports case sensitive file names

...preserves and enforces ACLs

...supports file-based compression

...resides on a compressed volume

...supports long file names

File access denied

Write errors present!

In this test only type of error is different ,when create file.I/O error 19 is
correct when writing to protected floppy.

Wine -with dir masked as CD.
Proceed with drive e:
Drive Type: CD-ROM
Drive size = 10,733,613,056 bytes
Drive free space = 4,203,012,096 bytes
No Volume Label
Volume Serial Number: 0
File System Type: CDFS
File System Properties...
...supports long file names

File access denied
Write errors present!

Here the label and the serial number is incorect.Also the program can write to
directory.To prevent this I made it read-only.DiskFree/DiskSize show the
partition parameters.I think improving this will be very good idea.

Also when no disk inserted in windows he returned  I/O error 21 .In the same
case wine return partition properties and no label.

I will attach this tool if needed.