DirectDraw Issues continue

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Jul 14 05:30:40 CDT 2006

Am Donnerstag 13 Juli 2006 23:15 schrieb Martin Owens:
> OK I'm quite upset now, when I compiled the cvs version of wine on my
> own computer and Pharaoh started working again I thought great, fixed!
> but oh no one of the comunity computers I administer is running ubuntu
> same as me but their getting the package from the wine apt repository.
I remember a few days ago someone complained that there was too much work done
on getting games to work :-P

> so I was happy to 0.9.17 was available because I thought it would
> allow this game to work again, imagen my suprise when I find it still
> doesn't work. and even better when I try to run it from the command
> like it segfaults.
>
> I'll provide logs and things if asked.
A +ddraw,+d3d7 log would be useful

>  * Pharaoh - used to work back in 0.9.15 and still does in cvs 2006-07-02
Sounds like it broke with the ddraw rewrite, was fixed later and broke again.
Can you do a regression test from 07-2 to today?

>  * C&C Generals - Fails to run
Copy protection? Otherwise it has GPU detection problems

>  * Imperialism II - Graphical tiles issue (DDRAW)
Do you have a screenshot?

>  * Industry Giant II - Fails to run
>  * Star trek SFC3 - Fails to run
>  * Tropico - Fails to run
>  * CSI - Fails to install
>  * Fugawi - Fails to display maps
>  * Settlers IV - Fails to run
It would be useful to find out which DirectX version they use(ddraw, d3d8 or
d3d9)? A +ddraw,+d3d8,+d3d9 log can reveal that, just see which channel spits
out most messages. Likely copy protection makes problems with a lot of games.

> This isn't a list of failures, this is a list of every program I have
> tried in the last month with wine, not _one_ works. this is an
> incredibly sad situation and I know the interfaces are difficult but
> could you concentrate on getting more thing working than just making
> sure World of WarCraft has a nice fps.
A start would be to file bug reports with detailed description of what goes
wrong with each game. ATM bugs.winehq.com seems to be down, so I can't check
if there are any report for those games. The even better thing would be if
you debugged the games to find out what goes wrong.

Keep in mind that the wine manpower is limited. We are only 5 people doint the
major directx development, Henry, Ivan, Jason and Roderick are working in
their free time, and I'm working for CodeWeavers, hence my priority to get
some represenative games working properly. Vitaly, Jesse and others are
giving us vital help too, like helping with bug reports and testing, and I'm
very glad about their support. Writing angry rant mails to the list or
ranting on irc won't get you anything, except eating the developers time with
writing angry replies back.

Stefan