DirectDraw Issues continue

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 11:19:16 CDT 2006

Well you've managed to be quite polite and considerate so I owe you at
the very least my full co-operation if not my apologies.

Some info below:

> > I'll provide logs and things if asked.
> A +ddraw,+d3d7 log would be useful

export WINE_DEBUG=+ddraw,+d3d7    ???? (the way this debug flag thing
works is completely baffling to me)

> >  * Pharaoh - used to work back in 0.9.15 and still does in cvs 2006-07-02
> Sounds like it broke with the ddraw rewrite, was fixed later and broke again.
> Can you do a regression test from 07-2 to today?

Sounds like it, I'll do a test on my machine with the latest CVS and
file a bug report or I'll email you if it works.

> >  * C&C Generals - Fails to run
> Copy protection? Otherwise it has GPU detection problems

Looks like GPU issues, I'll try it again.

> >  * Imperialism II - Graphical tiles issue (DDRAW)
> Do you have a screenshot?

It seems impossible to get screenshots, the game doesn't allow me to

> >  * Settlers IV - Fails to run
> It would be useful to find out which DirectX version they use(ddraw, d3d8 or
> d3d9)? A +ddraw,+d3d8,+d3d9 log can reveal that, just see which channel spits
> out most messages. Likely copy protection makes problems with a lot of games.

I tried this again with the latest version, I got problems with
setting the screen to higher resolutions, it didn't like playing any
of the campaigns (but I think that might have been the install because
it was asking for the cd) and it then segfaults when I tried to do
anything other than play the tutorial.

> Keep in mind that the wine manpower is limited. We are only 5 people doint the
> major directx development, Henry, Ivan, Jason and Roderick are working in
> their free time, and I'm working for CodeWeavers, hence my priority to get
> some represenative games working properly. Vitaly, Jesse and others are
> giving us vital help too, like helping with bug reports and testing, and I'm
> very glad about their support. Writing angry rant mails to the list or
> ranting on irc won't get you anything, except eating the developers time with
> writing angry replies back.

Yes I understand, you never know you could have 6 if I could get my
head around the source code and development platform.

My apologies again, I was not myself and the disappointment of a
fellow linux user can be disheartening.