Winlib - Active Scripting

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jul 18 14:42:42 CDT 2006

On 7/18/06, Luc-Eric Rousseau <lucer at softimage.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am starting to investigate if it would be feasible to port some of our applications with WinLib.  Presently, we use MainSoft MainWin.

Welcome!  We'd love to have Softimage use Wine.

> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) is there a definitive list somewhere what API WinLib implements of Win32, and what it doesn't?  I have had some difficulty finding this information.

Each of Wine's DLL's comes with a file which lists which APIs it
implements, e.g. http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/atl/atl.spec
The lines that say 'stub' are not really implemented.
http://www.winehq.org/site/winapi_stats has a summary of this data, I think.
But even some of the ones that don't say 'stub' are only partial or
sham implementations.
The real way to tell how many bugs your Windows app will run into
is to try simply installing the Windows app on Linux using Wine.
Does your app have a regression test or GUI test framework of any sort?
If so, you can run that under Wine and compare results.

> 2) one application we'd like to port uses active scripting (VBScript).  Basically we wrote some features in VBScript, which in turn automating our application (like macros in Photoshop CS).  What would be our options for this if we were to use WinLib?  (MainWin ships with VBscript and JScript)

Wine doesn't currently support VBScript (unless you install WSH from Microsoft).
That could be added, but it'd be a substantial effort.

> 3) Would the Ole Compound Storage format (StgCreateDocfile) WinLib read/write be binary compatible with the one on Windows?

Should be.

> 4) what are the options of an application that embeds the IE web browser control?

That's supported now, though you may find that Wine's implementation
has rough edges.  Nothing a little support contract with Codeweavers
couldn't iron out.
- Dan