Possible bug in Wine or NDISWRAPPER

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Jul 21 12:09:14 CDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, gslink wrote:

> The most common problem with Ndiswrapper is that it requires more than a 4k
> stack.  The result you are getting may be coming from a stack overflow caused
> by a combination of Wine and Ndiswrapper.

The 4k stack issue you are talking about is a kernel stack. Wine is a
user space application so anything Wine does with its stacks will have
no impact on the kernel stack.

Now it is possible that Wine makes system calls that cause the kernel to
recurse and blow its stack, but these calls could just as well happen in
any run-of-the-mill Linux application. And in any case, this would be a
kernel bug.

      The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.