Broken character models in dx8/9 games in wined3d

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 02:48:12 CDT 2006

On 25/07/06, Jason Green <jave27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> current renderTarget is not on the current swapchain.  The comments in
> the source say that the upside-downedness is produced by
> glCopyTexImage, so it sets a flag to flip everything over.

I don't think it's so much that glCopyTexImage flips the texture over,
but rather the fact that OpenGL texture coordinates are flipped over
the y-axis compared to Direct3D.

> So, I think what we need to do is prevent ourselves from having to do
> any flipping whatsoever.  That's the part that I'm not sure how to do
> and is the reason for this email.  Can we load the textures in system
> memory first, perform a software reversing process, then load that up
> with glCopyTexImage instead?  Will we need to do that type of fixup
> every time the app locks/unlocks/changes part of the texture?  Or, is
> there a better way?

Can't we just correct the texture coordinates / start writing the
surface contents at the bottom? Also, if we use EXT_framebuffer_object
instead, we probably won't have to use glCopyTexImage in the first
place.