wine_main_preload_info not found, cannot use first megabyte, *.exe don't work

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sun Jul 30 21:37:47 CDT 2006

Hello, Mike!

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 18:23 +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
> Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > Something strange to happened my Wine installation recently.  I'm
> > getting following messages if I run any program from Wine:
> >
> > $ winemine
> > wine_main_preload_info not found
> > err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address
> > space, please report
>
> Looks like the wine-preloader isn't being run, so memory that wine needs
> isn't reserved.

It is installed and it is run.  If I replace wine-preloader with a
script that logs the arguments and runs the renamed wine-preloader, I
see it being called twice when an exe file with run with Wine.   For
example:

$ wine FarManager170.exe
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"Z:\\home\\proski\\dist\\windows\\FarManager170.exe": Invalid address

In the log of wine-preloader invocations:

/usr/local/bin/../lib/../bin/wine-pthread FarManager170.exe
/usr/local/bin/../lib/../bin/wine-pthread FarManager170.exe

/usr/local/bin/../lib/../bin/wine-pthread is a valid path, wine-pthread
is actually located there.

What's interesting is that running wine-pthread instead of Wine goes one
step further:

$ wine-pthread FarManager170.exe
wine_main_preload_info not found
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -193421
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -2665207
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_EXLIMITTEXT: stub
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete SHAutoComplete stub
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000580
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\temp\\RarSFX0\\FarManagerSetup.exe": Invalid address
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\temp\\RarSFX0\\FarManagerSetup.exe": Invalid address
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000180
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\temp\\RarSFX0\\FarManagerSetup.exe": Invalid address
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\temp\\RarSFX0\\FarManagerSetup.exe": Invalid address

I even see a window appearing for a short time.  So, FarManager170.exe
is actually run, but it fails when another file needs to be executed.

Similar test with Jardinains installer:

$ wine jardinains_1_2.exe
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"Z:\\home\\proski\\dist\\windows\\jardinains_1_2.exe": Invalid address

It fails here.  But:

$ wine-pthread jardinains_1_2.exe
wine_main_preload_info not found
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report

And I get the installer window here!

> Maybe check that configure is setting the EXTRA_BINARIES variable?
>
> mike at black:~/wine$ grep ^EXTRA_BINARIES loader/Makefile
> EXTRA_BINARIES = wine-kthread wine-pthread wine-preloader

Same thing here:

$ grep ^EXTRA_BINARIES loader/Makefile
EXTRA_BINARIES = wine-kthread wine-pthread wine-preloader

I enabled all debug in loader/preloader.c, and the stderr output of
"wine jardinains_1_2.exe" is attached.

By the way, "wine winhlp32.exe" was a bad choice.  It tries to
run /usr/local/lib/wine/winhlp32.exe.so, which doesn't exist.  It's a
completely separate bug that exists even on pure 32-bit systems.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin