wineprefix: Create a cdrom drive if it exists at /media/cdrom

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 12:18:12 CDT 2006

On 6/1/06, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> The location CD drives are mounted changes between systems, this patch is
> essentially specific to yours. Wine already supports HAL, which should
> solve this in a more correct manner (though we have reports it doesn't
> work for some games!), so how comes that's not enough?
>
> thanks -mike

I think /media/cdrom is actually some sort of standard. A google
search led me to
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT
I don't know where this standard gets any authority, but most modern
linux distros I've seen do have a /media/cdrom directory. If there is
a /media/cdrom, one can assume that it is the cd-rom drive (whichever
has a cd in it) without relying on HAL at all.

A quick test shows that wine 0.9.14, with a clean .wine directory, can
install worms: armageddon but not run it (it couldn't find the cd,
probably because wine didn't find it). Simply /media/cdrom as d: and
using autodetection is enough to make it work.

So the HAL thing doesn't work for everyone, and this works for a lot
of people. When you see /media/cdrom, you can be sure it's a cd-rom
drive. So why not use it?

--
Vincent Povirk