RFC - wine-macos mailing list

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu Jun 1 17:05:31 CDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I'd like to pull one thread out of a previous discussion
and ask for comments on it specifically; I think other issues
in the thread detracted from what I think is a useful discussion.

Specifically, should we create a 'wine-macos' mailing list?

I think the idea would be that it would be a mailing list
for Mac users and developers to worry about Mac specific issues.
The benefit is that it would be more inviting to Mac users
and it would allow Mac folks to hone in on Mac specific topics.

The goal is still that Mac Wine developers would come join us
on wine-devel and #winehackers, so it would likely end up
primarily as a user forum.  I guess the downside is that it
could be confusing, and you can argue that we
haven't created any platform specific lists prior to this.

My driving concern is that I think we need to welcome the Mac
community to the Wine Project and do all that we can to
enable the Mac developers and users to use mainstream Wine resources.
I don't think anyone wants www.winehq.org to be perceived as
a 'Linux only' environment.  (Although I do see that www.winehq.org
doesn't list Mac OS X...hmmm).

Some Mac folks have told me privately that having a Mac specific mailing
list on www.winehq.org would make it more inviting to them.
Perhaps that is reason alone to make the change.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Jeremy