To K&R or not

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 11:05:22 CDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> wrote:

> The question is in how far that really works in reality. Even when leaving
> such (imho) minor things like K&R or not, spaces after if or not,etc aside.
> Just look at the tabs vs. space issue:
> I don't really have a problem with both of them but mixing them is imo the
> worst thing that could happen.
>
> And things like this:
> (tabs = underscore, space = dots)
>
> ...if() {
> ______int foo;
> ______if() {
> ______.....do_something();
> ......_____for()
> ......_____....do_somethingelse();
> ______}
> ....}
> (and yes you really find things like this)
>
> are just UGLY and if you don't have the exact same tabsize settings like the author
> you get complete "garbage".
>
> Granted, I probably haven't even seen the majority of the source code and maybe I just found
> one of the few negative examples, but imho some kind of consensus here would be
> definitly a good thing.
>
> 4-space indention and using spaces instead of tabs already seems to be most used
> setting, so why not enforce it for everybody?

We do have a consensus about tabs vs. spaces.  To quote the page I
sent you in the last message:

"Tabs are not forbidden but discouraged. A tab is defined as 8
characters and the usual amount of indentation is 4 characters."

More and more this is being followed, but we won't force it on anyone.
 If someone creates a new page with tabs, we're not going to stop that
code from getting in.

--
James Hawkins