To K&R or not

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Sat Jun 3 11:42:00 CDT 2006

James Hawkins schrieb:
> We do have a consensus about tabs vs. spaces.  To quote the page I
> sent you in the last message:
>
> "Tabs are not forbidden but discouraged. A tab is defined as 8
> characters and the usual amount of indentation is 4 characters."
>
> More and more this is being followed, but we won't force it on anyone.
> If someone creates a new page with tabs, we're not going to stop that
> code from getting in.
That is exactly the point. Unless you don't force it for everyone the
consensus is more or less worthless. You have nice parts where people
follow it and you have "ugly" parts where they don't follow it.
In the end you have a horrible mix of everything. And that won't change.
Especially for a project as big as wine I think it helps a lot in terms of
readability to have some clearly defined coding styles.

Plus with the current policy in mind I am not sure it is "allowed" at all
to send patches to fix some places with totally broken indendation, because
maybe the author just liked that style ;)