To K&R or not

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Sat Jun 3 14:45:09 CDT 2006

James Hawkins wrote:

>On 6/3/06, Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>The question is in how far that really works in reality. Even when leaving
>>such (imho) minor things like K&R or not, spaces after if or not,etc aside.
>>Just look at the tabs vs. space issue:
>>I don't really have a problem with both of them but mixing them is imo the
>>worst thing that could happen.
>>
>>And things like this:
>>(tabs = underscore, space = dots)
>>
>>...if() {
>>______int foo;
>>______if() {
>>______.....do_something();
>>......_____for()
>>......_____....do_somethingelse();
>>______}
>>....}
>>(and yes you really find things like this)
>>
>>are just UGLY and if you don't have the exact same tabsize settings like the author
>>you get complete "garbage".
>>
>>Granted, I probably haven't even seen the majority of the source code and maybe I just found
>>one of the few negative examples, but imho some kind of consensus here would be
>>definitly a good thing.
>>
>>4-space indention and using spaces instead of tabs already seems to be most used
>>setting, so why not enforce it for everybody?
>>

>We do have a consensus about tabs vs. spaces.  To quote the page I
>sent you in the last message:
>
>"Tabs are not forbidden but discouraged. A tab is defined as 8
>characters and the usual amount of indentation is 4 characters."
>
>More and more this is being followed, but we won't force it on anyone.
> If someone creates a new page with tabs, we're not going to stop that
>code from getting in.

A tab is not defined as 8 spaces - it is defined as go to the next TAB
STOP! The tab stop
could be every 8 spaces or 4 spaces or 2 spaces or whatever has been
defined. The tab
comes from the manual typewriter and there were physical stops you
placed where
you wanted the carriage to stop at.

Cheers,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)