Prospects of an OpenAL audio driver...

Nick Burns adger44 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 15:11:25 CDT 2006

OpenAL 1.1 supports recording... (1.0 does not have recording so that is a
problem yes)
-- My driver handles this atm -- it checks for recording capabilities and
supports accordingly

The OpenAL api is rather simple
- For playback : you make buffers and queue them then poll them (to find out
when they are done)
                            There are some extensions that cut out
copies/support eax/... (I have not looked at em yet)
           (support 2d and 3d audio)
- For recording (1.1 only) : start capturing -- poll (get data -- if there)
-- stop recording

The dsound mapping stuff I want to understand better (are there any docs for
this?)
I am sure we can layer it on OpenAL (hopefully good)

PortAudio looks like a good choice as well -- afaict -- but I dont have any
exp with it (not that I had any openal exp when i started that driver hehe)

-----
Should I just submit my driver to wine-devel and see what people think?
It does work for wavein/waveout (still trying to flesh out a few issues)

- Nick