Linux noob

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:42:24 CDT 2006

Peter Beutner wrote:
> Because it is the defacto standard to store settings
> under ~/.<appname>.

Only for stuff that's thought to be generally uninteresting.

Your KDE desktop, for example, resides under ~/Desktop.

> And with enough applications installed that use this "standard"
> you probably will be glad that these directories are hidden so that
> you don't have to scroll through them every time you open
> your filemanager ;).

I'm annoyed that .wine is inaccessible through KDE and Gnome apps.

Not through the file manager, but often in various applications.

It's not wine's fault per se that those apps lack a "show hidden
folders" option, but it would be nice to make wine visible, as it
contains useful stuff that you'll often mangle with.

(I personally have a symlink from "wine" to ".wine"...)

I do agree that there's too many applications dumping various .xxxxxx
folders in my home directory.  The least they could do is to put those
files somewhere where they don't interfere with my user data,
someplace sane like ~/Application Data/xxxxxx, or a more unixy
~/appdata/xxxxx...

(Never cared much for hidden folders - they're a symptom that you're
being too careless with your directory structure.)