WM_GETICON patch

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon Jun 12 08:42:04 CDT 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:26:11 -0700, Chris wrote:
> Aren't icons already created on the global heap? They're created with
> GlobalAlloc16, and (optionally) added to a link list of shared icons.

No, this is a confusing Win32ism. The "global heap" is not actually
global, it's process-local. There *is* a shared heap in Windows 9x but not
in NT.

GDI objects are stored in the kernel in Windows, and so are "shared" via
that mechanism. We do the same thing by moving things into the wineserver
and transporting them via RPC.

Actually images are stored as pixmaps in the X server, so it'd be awfully
convenient if we could leverage that but I suspect the need to support
non-X display systems means we have to do it the hard way, by shovelling
image bits across the socket.

thanks -mike