Broken FC5 packages - stay clear.

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Tue Jun 13 07:34:30 CDT 2006

Tuesday, June 13, 2006, 1:14:00 AM, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:31:12 +0100
> Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:03:23 +0200, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
>> > Well from a wine perspective I see that this makes sense, but if you take a
>> > look at all the dependencies it is another story...
>>
>> simply to not mark them as dependencies at all yet still build the
>> package with those features enabled. If the supporting libraries are

> This is just wrong packaging. Sorry if this sounds harsh but that cannot be the
> solution and it never will be in Fedora Extras.

And why isn't that a solution? That's what Wine already _does_. So what is the
problem on your end? Just a principle?

>> missing the features will be disabled at runtime usually with a message on
>> stderr.

> Don't get me wrong... I am really happy that in the near future (1-2 years)
> rpm and yum support for optional dependencies will be spread enough so it
> solves a lot of issues like this one and I am really happy to make use
> of it... but for now this is not an option, sadly...

Obviously you have never monitored this mailing list, looked at the source,
bothered reading documentation. But that has nothing to do with rpm/deb/etc.
That the the way Wine is made. It is built with few hard requirements. Most are
soft requirements.

>> wine-tools and does not install it? They will be missing:
>>
>>  * winecmd
>>  * notepad
>>  * winedbg
>>  * winepath
>>  * winhelp
>>  * _EXPLORER_
>>
>> These may appear to to be optional but they are not.
>>
>> Explorer is needed for shell integration, HAL support and system tray
>> support. It is not an end user tool, it's a part of the Wine
>> infrastructure.

> Ok, will move explorer to the main wine package.

You totally missed the point. You have to include _all_. Otherwise one part of
Wine or another will brake. That's the main reason why I said that these packages
are broken and that anyone reading this list should stay away from them.

The only parts that you can possibly split are sound drivers, headers and debug
package.

Vitaliy