[Wine] Re: wine-0.9.15 & winetools problems.

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Tue Jun 13 15:07:29 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 21:47 +0200, Peter Åstrand wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
>
> > BTW, as I used to maintain this entry,
>
> If you consider yourself an inactive maintainer, perhaps you should let
> someone else takeover?
>

> > I updated it with current
> > informations. I don't have time to test the runtime settings so I'd be
> > glad if you could fill the missing part and send me the details so I'll
> > update the entry http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=469
>
> Thanks for the update. A few comments:
>
> * I think the reference to WineTools and Sidenet should be removed. Wine
> version 20050725 is quite old. I think we should focus on having the
> latest AppDb pages document the latest Wine, rather than old stuff.
>
> * The manual installation still doesn't work for me (see bug 5409 etc),
> but let's get back to that.
>
> * I think it would be nice if you could include my command lines for
> fetching & extracting inseng.dll, for those users without a Windows
> installation nearby:
>
> $ wget http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/IE_S5.CAB
> $ cabextract -L IE_S5.CAB
> $ cabextract -L -F inseng.dll ie_5.cab
> $ rm -rf ~/.wine ie_5.cab IE_S5.CAB
> $ wineprefixcreate
> $ cp inseng.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
> $ wget http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe
> $ wine ie6setup.exe

Interestingly I _JUST_ decided to go through this myself on a raw wine
install of .9.15

So I did the following (Some relate this Subject, some just FYI):
1.  Ok, RPM installed.  Now what?   I need IE.
2.  run winecfg, create new Wine install.  (Icon says 'Add Application',
thought it was for installing applications :/ )  Exit.
2.  Read Install/Config HowTo http://www.winehq.org/site/howto
3.  Follow link to appdb
4.  type 'Internet Explorer' in search
5.  Click Internet Explorer link
6.  Click 6.0
7.  Look confused for a moment, then scroll down far enough to see
there's a HOWTO with a dark green background that's hard to see in
Opera.
8.  'Install dll?'  Screw that, follow link to IE6 at MS.
9.  Download IE6SP1 ie6setup.exe 500k.
10. wine ie6setup.exe
11. Error.  Go back to Appdb, get dll from link at dlldump.com
12. wine ie6setup.exe
13.  Error.   "The download location information is damaged"  WTF?
14. Ok, maybe I should choose custom install.. Did I get the option?
    wine ie6setup.exe
    No options, installs complete.

15. wine IEXPLORE.EXE
    White Page.   Not good.

16. Search for 'Could not load Mozilla'
17. Install ActiveX Control and learn it's re-written and not done yet.

So I did all this to test some 'web' VoiceChat,
http://www.univoice.us/demo/  that installs from a cab file through
IE.

Is this functionality lost with this migration from IE to internal
rendering?

Rick