Gecko installer

Boaz Harrosh wine at electrozaur.com
Wed Jun 14 13:54:28 CDT 2006

Jacek Caban wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Please consider this mail as:
>
> Re: Built-in iexplore
> Re: acad 2004 licence file bug
> Re: Broken FC5 packages - stay clear.
>
> Last week Wine Gecko was mentioned a few times on this mailing list
> and I can see that there is no understanding of it. It's not really
> surprising as it's a big mess ATM. We can still use Mozilla ActiveX
> control (but that needs to be removed) or (xor) directly Gecko.
> Sometimes  (if the app uses HTMLDocument directly, not via WebBrowser,
> like iexplore does) only the second option works. That has led me to
> do what I am planning to do later. I've just sent Wine Gecko
> installer. After it will be committed, a system similar to Mozilla
> ActiveX control download will have to be set up (that is upload the
> package to SourceForge and add a script that directs download of it).
> That will allow us to get rid of Mozilla ActiveX control.
>
> Thanks,
>    Jacek
Hi Jacek.

This would maybe also Address my problem. Please see my posting this
week [Wine's Mozilla Control - Very old]
Please I have a few Questions:
- Are you intending to produce a PE Gecko installer maintained by you or
are you using a ready made package?
- Will this package be updated from time to time when Gecko is updated?
and kept as current as possible?
- In theory, do you think your implementation when finished could be
replacing the "Mozilla ActiveX control" on windows (and ReactOS). I
don't think you will have any problems with DLL names since Windows can
be made to load local DLL's first. Any way a Makefile hack could be made
to change the names. You will, however, need an alternative GUID for
windows if needed to run alongside IE.
- Will/are you in contact with Mozilla.org people to support us in this
task. (Updates, chromes, settings, plugins ...)
- Will you have a browser-like application along side this installation
to let users maintain their gecko engine. (Updates, chromes, settings,
plugins ...)

I have attempted a bit of this task based on SeaMonkey but I have come
to the conclusion that I'm not up to the task. Too many if(s) that I
don't have the answer to.

There is this site <http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm> which
is the Official site for the Mozilla activeX Control. It looks like it
as stopped maintaining the Control. The only availability of the 1.8
version of Gecko and the Control is in SeaMonkey. I have written Adam
Lock a short e-mail asking on the project status, yesterday. I will keep
you posted on his response. (??)

Mike wrote ...

 > A native Linux copy of Gecko installed as part of, say, the
distributions Firefox?

Please note that Firefox distribution according to Mozilla documentation
(See FAQ on link above) is not good because the Gecko is statically
linked and cannot be accessed from outside. The only Project that can be
used with current Gecko is SeaMonkey. (I may be wrong about Linux-Gecko
but I suspect they have the same problems as on Windows. dynamic-linking
load speed)

It looks like all kind of people are looking for a Gecko SDK-kind
package. I did not find any. If any one knows of one please tell me.

Free Life
Boaz