Broken FC5 packages - stay clear.

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Fri Jun 16 07:51:28 CDT 2006

Friday, June 16, 2006, 1:04:52 AM, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:36:03 +0100
> Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
>> I think a meta package called "wine" that installed everything would be
>> much better because that would do what end users would intuitively expect.
>> And Wine isn't really a suite. It's a large, monolithic program. If it was
>> a suite we'd realease separate tarballs upstream.

> I would like that a lot better but then you have the problem that people who
> have wine installed now (and don't want the rest) will get everything on the
> next upgrade... I will think about it and discuss it with some other Fedora
> Extras people and see what their opinion is...

The single argument that I can add here to make Wine into a monolith package is:
Where have you seen windows without *. (replace * with each possible package you
are trying to create). And I'm not talking about xp embedded.

It's not a matter if we like it or not. Lots of applications depend on one
functionality or another. As well as developers, when they code some features
in. Or ask for the debug output. Besides, all the stuff that you split is small
(for anyone to be concerned with package sizes).

Vitaliy