ddraw assert prevents Ankh from starting

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Jun 20 03:23:48 CDT 2006

Hi,
> on the end of this mail is a patch, that removes an assert(0) from the
> surface code in ddraw. but removing it let Ankh[1][2] start (it started
> before, but there where no loading screen visible). yet there are other
> problems with this game - but it now actually works better than before.
>
> so let the ddraw developers decide what to do there - this mail is just
> a reminder, that there is a poor little homeless assert, that needs your
> attention ;)

Ooops.

Well, that assert is a sort of debugging assertion to be sure to catch apps
which call this function. It wasn't meant to go into the winehq tree, I
missed it when doing my cleanup checks :-(

Anyway, that call is pretty much untested, I don't expect it to work
as-is(especially if the app sets a surface memory pointer).

You can send the patch to remove that assert to wine-patches, it's clearly
wrong. I'm just downloading the demo to test it myself, but I'm quite busy at
university right now :-(