solution: IE6 setup says "The download location information is damaged"

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:40:13 CDT 2006

Hey,

If you're still having this problem, please make sure you are not on a
remote or network-mounted drive.  IE6 setup checks if the drive is
remote, and will not install if it is, complaining with the completely
non-related error that "The download location information is damaged."
 If you're not sure whether you're on a remote drive or not, and the
IE6 setup is still not working, please post back and attach a +volume
trace.  I was frustrated that the setup was not working on my work
machine, while it was on my home machine.  Reading through a +all log
showed that GetDriveTypeW was returning 4 for my work machine, which
is DRIVE_REMOTE, and then it would fail with the message box.  Hacking
GetDriveTypeW to always return DRIVE_FIXED let me install onto my
remote drive.

Thanks,
James Hawkins