Win64 status

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Wed Jun 21 15:12:08 CDT 2006

----- PŮVODNÍ ZPRÁVA -----
Od: "Kuba Ober" <kuba at mareimbrium.org>
Komu: wine-devel at winehq.org
Předmět: Re: Win64 status
Datum: 21.6.2006 - 13:01:23

> On Wednesday 21 June 2006 06:39, Filip Navara wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I'm about to jump in the middle of discussion. The
> > problem is not only
> > > with the calling convention, but with the whole ABI
> > rather. I've had
> > > GCC patched to use the MSVC x64 calling convention
> > (without a switch
> > > though) for about a year now, but it doesn't solve
> > the problem. There
> > > is much more ABI differences including the exception
> > handling (and yes,
> > > I mean exception handling in C, not only C++) where
> > MSVC generates special
> > > unwinding information for the functions. I'm not
> > sure if it would be
> > > even possible to mix the ABI this way, but I'm open
> > to hear some
> > > suggestions.

I started uploading the diffs to www.volny.cz/xnavara/mingw64/, but it's
kind of hard to rescue it since I have nothing to diff against since
the MinGW64 CVS is down and it takes quite a while to find the right
revision of files...

> Does gcc have some C exception handling of its own?
> If not then we may be able
> to add that. gcc is pretty well tweakable, although
> it takes a lot of time to
> figure things out for the first time.

No, it doesn't.

> If you'd have any more pointers to specific information,
> that would help me
> out immensely. The diffs that you have would help me
> out for sure.
>
> Is the MSVC x64 ABI documented somewhere? I didn't
> have time to wade through
> MSDN in search of that yet . . .

As for the documentation I can recommend
- http://blogs.msdn.com/freik/archive/category/12430.aspx
- MSDN
- the PE-COFF v8 document recently updated by MS
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/PECOFF.mspx)
- the ABI document that comes with some MSVC versions

Regards,
Filip