ddraw assert prevents Ankh from starting

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.de
Fri Jun 23 05:13:18 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 11:49:24AM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:

Hi Stefan,

> I tested the demo, the loading screen appears without the assert. I will send
> a more proper implementation of IDirectDrawSurface::SetSurfaceDesc when I
> have time(university tests :-( ).

no hurry! i try out all the stuff that lies on my disk with cvs every
now and then and this came up.

> The loading screen appears, but it seems to get stuck quite soon
> during loading. It seems to wait for something, the cpu is idle and
> the screen not redrawn.

it takes _ages_ in some c++ code in one of the dlls it ships with. you
just have to be patient. it takes about 3-5 minutes - then you are in
the main menu (where the mouse is magically drawn to the center of the
screen like a moth and yesterdays dinput mouse fix, does not help here).

one good thing about it, is the use of ogre, so i had a peak in the
dinput code of current ogre version, if i see something strange. but
with my limited knowledge of if the winapi there was at least nothing
obvious and there is always the possibility, that the old version did
something radical else or that they have patched around in the ogre
code.

> This game seems to use the open source ogle library for rendering, and
> it also ships a Direct3D9 and OpenGL renderer. Maybe there's a way to
> make it use the ogl renderer, but I haven't found a way to do so.

forget about that - it does not run at all using ogl. i had the same
idea and tried it. its also a pity, that they use ogre but do not
provide a osx/linux version of the game :/

--
cu