wine autorun utility

William Knop william.knop at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 20:37:16 CDT 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Thursday, June 29, 2006, 12:02:38 PM, William Knop wrote:
>> Having the ability to autorun cds is most definitely not a
>> misfeature.
> Of course it's not. It's the perfect means of distributing trojans,
> backdoors,
> rootkits and other very useful software an every CD, including DVDs
> and music
> CDs.

If your assuming said media is compromised in such a way, requiring
the user to manually run the executable will not protect him. The
fact is, most media is not compromised. Software publishers ensure
they are not. Most windows users can trust their software publishers.
For those who cannot, they can simply click "No" when the dialog pops
up. Or they can set it to never autorun. Or they could set it to
virus-scan before autorunning. Everybody's happy.

One thing I'm sure of: If regular guy Joe Schmo has to run
executables from CDs manually, he will either say CDs don't work in
wine or say that wine is a PITA to use.