Can't run DirectX games on x86_64 biarch Linux

Christian Schneider mail at chrschn.de
Tue Mar 7 17:09:28 CST 2006

Hi all.

About half a year ago I replaced my old desktop by an AMD64 box and my
previous x86 Linux from Scratch (LFS) installation by a x86_64 multilib
LFS. And since then I'm not able to run any DirectX title anymore that
used to work before.

This is the way I usually compile wine (GCC 3.4.4):

        ./configure --prefix=/opt/wine-CVS20060307 \
                    --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib &&
        make depend && make && su -c "make install"

Here are some games that used to work on my old LFS, their behaviour and
the error messages. I've also attached a short log of each game to this
messages. All these logs have been recorded with the CVS version of wine
from 2006/03/05.

Age of Empires 2 starts up, I can hear sound. When I click on "Single
Player", the game hangs with the following message:

        err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 24 bytes in thread 0009 eip 55726262 esp 55ca0fe8 stack 0x55ca1000-0x55db0000

Backgammon Pro is an older (7 years or so) backgammon game, quite simple
and 2D, but uses DirectDraw. It crashes at startup:

        err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x5574d040 "directory.c: dir_section" wait timed out in thread 000b, blocked by 000c, retrying (60 sec)
        err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000194 flags 0 addr 0x55701230

Diablo 2 VidTest (D2VidTest.exe) runs fine and suggests Direct3D for
rendering. When I click on the ok-button to quit, it keeps hanging:

        err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x6ffa0730 "?" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 000a, retrying (60 sec)

Diablo 2 crashes at startup after some time:

        err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x5574d6c0 "virtual.c: csVirtual" wait timed out in thread 0010, blocked by 0000, retrying (60 sec)
        err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000194 flags 0 addr 0x55701230

Half-Life crashes at startup:

        err:seh:setup_exception nested exception on signal stack in thread 0009 eip 55725f43 esp 55589c90 stack 0x55ca1000-0x55db0000

Monkey Island 4 (OpenGL-mode) crashes at startup:

        err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 240 bytes in thread 0009 eip 557013e6 esp 55ca0f10 stack 0x55ca1000-0x55db0000

StarCraft starts to the title menu, but clicking on "Single Player"
crashes it:

        err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 276 bytes in thread 0009 eip 557013e6 esp 55ca0eec stack 0x55ca1000-0x55db0000

WarCraft 3 (OpenGL-mode) doesn't show up anything, just hangs silently.

As you can see, the most common errors are err:seh:setup_exception and
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection. I've also done some more tests
with other games like Revolt, Anno 1503, Half-Life 2, and the errors all
look alike.

I have tried the following things to solve the problem:
      * Deleted my ~/.wine, over and over again ;-)
      * Compiled wine without any optimization flags
      * Compiled wine on a x86 Debian box and copied the installation
        over
      * Copied my ~/.wine to that Debian box, where most of the games
        run fine
      * Tried different wine versions, starting with pre-0.9 versions,
        ending with the latest CVS version
      * Used winetools to setup an environment with many native DLLs.
        Installation of most of the software including IE worked fine,
        but did not help though.
      * Searched this mailing list archive and the web for similar
        errors

Something is definitely going wrong with this. Anybody an idea? I would
appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Christian Schneider