WINED3D: Implement GetCreationParameters

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Wed Mar 8 13:08:20 CST 2006

Hi
Andreas Mohr schrieb:
> Hi,
> Can you mention an example of Windows popping up an error message "function
> foo baz called with invalid parameter ..., what do you want me to do?".
> See? Me neither...
heh, the message will more likely looks like
"Failed to initialize {Direct3D/DirectDraw/OpenGL/Foo}"
Which still leaves you puzzled what the hell actually went wrong, but at
least shows that sometimes the return values are actually checked for errors ;)

> Any additional error checking in Wine that's *not done by Windows* to make
> (semi-)abnormal code flow keep running is A Very Bad Thing (tm).
So if a windows function crashes with a given set of parameters the aim is to
exactly replicate that behaviour?
hmm seems I have to re-think my argument I usually tell people that bugs in windows
are not neccessarily also present in wine.
Let's hope there is never a exploitable bug that needs to be implemented in wine :p

>>> If there's a problem that we need to be aware of, then we'd better get to know
>>> about it NOW, not 5 lines, not 3000 relay lines and not 10 minutes after it
>>> occurred and nobody ever remembers what the actual problem was.
>> To repeat it, if that crash happens you are *already* "3000 relay lines" after the actually
>> problem and you have *no* clue what the actual problem is.
> That may well be the case, but I sure as hell don't want to even increase
> my trouble by orders of magnitude by waiting a lot longer in this error case...
So let's remove the dozens of NULL pointer checks already in place ;)
And better also the whole exception handling which gives applications the chance
to carry on execution even in case of a segmentation fault, which highly increases
the trouble to find the original source of the problem *scnr*.