ddraw design flaw

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Fri Mar 10 08:14:36 CST 2006

I have found a design flaw in ddraw and described it in my 'World of
Warcraft 0.10 Public Test Real (PTR)' thread. Why has nobody adressed
this issue? In my eyes it is a severe design flaw if an application
can't unload ddraw.dll without side effects (especially if this
side-effect is that all opengl/directx applications are unusable after
that).
So please, will someone explain me why nobody wants to fix this?
It's nothing bad now, but if WoW still loads Survey.dll (and thus
ddraw.dll) in the final public release many people will demand a fix.
Very few people play on the PTR, but there are quite a lot who play WoW
under wine.. and they will not be happy if they can't play anymore.

tom