ddraw design flaw

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Mar 10 08:48:33 CST 2006

Hi,
> I have found a design flaw in ddraw and described it in my 'World of
> Warcraft 0.10 Public Test Real (PTR)' thread. Why has nobody adressed
> this issue? In my eyes it is a severe design flaw if an application
> can't unload ddraw.dll without side effects (especially if this
> side-effect is that all opengl/directx applications are unusable after
> that).
The ddraw implementation has some unloading bugs at the moment. Not restoring
the glx context(that's the problem you reported, right) is only one of them.
Another is that the screen resolution isn't restored when the app doesn't
care for releasing it's object.

I have this problem in mind, and I'll check WineD3D for it, as it most likely
affects all D3D libs. Once it's fixed in wineD3D and ddraw uses wineD3D for
rendering, this should be sorted out.

Sorry for not fixing this at once, but time is limited ;). If you want a
solution now, you're free to fix ddraw. But I registered that issue and it's
on my lenghty todo list.