[Bugzilla] Add note to not paste logs and back traces.

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:54:20 CST 2006

James Trotter wrote:

> On 3/12/06, *Jesse Allen* <the3dfxdude at gmail.com
> <mailto:the3dfxdude at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Yeah, that's bad, but so is this AppDB page:
>>     http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=1177
>>
>>     People seem to think that the AppDB comment sections are a good place
>>     to post logs.  It made the page really long.  So I put this as the
>>     first thing in the howto:
>>
>>     "Reporting Problems
>>
>>     If you encounter a problem, send your report to Wine-Users Mailing
>>     List or WineHQ Bugzilla. These places are much faster for getting
>>     help, and bugzilla is better for posting logs."
>>
>>     And it mostly seemed to work.  And there are alot more new bug links
>>     now.  But then they added the "testing" section and people use that
>>     too to report their problems and for pasting logs.  I wish they would
>>     be brief in those and link to bug #'s instead.
>>
>>     And true it is the same that the logs aren't good in the bugzilla
>>     comments either.  They should upload them seperate.  I guess there are
>>     a lot of new people that haven't dealt with this system.  The new note
>>     should help.
>>
>>     One of these days I'd really like to clean up the old comments on the
>>     AppDB page, but I don't want to scare anyone with mass deletions.  It
>>     takes a long time to load on dialup.
>
> I'm curious what the policy about cleaning up comments on the appdb is. If a
> user posts about a comment about some problem with the application, and the
> problem later is fixed, should the comment be removed?

Yes these can be deleted

> What about bug links? Should they be removed once the bug is fixed or closed?

No at least for now. There probably should be an option to hide resolved and
closed bugs though.

> The maintainer's guidelines page says: "If a comment is useless or is not
> true anymore, you can safely delete it." Though, if you look at AppDB entries
>  like the one above, this doesn't seem to happen. Perhaps the maintainer's
> guidelines could be a bit more specific?

That seems pretty straight for ward to me. Could you clarify what you mean.

> Also, the guidelines don't even mention bug links.

Well the guideline is not to delete bug links unless they never did apply to the
application version. (If the bug link was submitted in error then delete it)

--

Tony Lambregts