ddraw design flaw

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Sun Mar 12 10:28:34 CST 2006

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Hi,
>> I have found a design flaw in ddraw and described it in my 'World of
>> Warcraft 0.10 Public Test Real (PTR)' thread. Why has nobody adressed
>> this issue? In my eyes it is a severe design flaw if an application
>> can't unload ddraw.dll without side effects (especially if this
>> side-effect is that all opengl/directx applications are unusable after
>> that).
> The ddraw implementation has some unloading bugs at the moment. Not restoring
> the glx context(that's the problem you reported, right) is only one of them.
> Another is that the screen resolution isn't restored when the app doesn't
> care for releasing it's object.
>
> I have this problem in mind, and I'll check WineD3D for it, as it most likely
> affects all D3D libs. Once it's fixed in wineD3D and ddraw uses wineD3D for
> rendering, this should be sorted out.
>
> Sorry for not fixing this at once, but time is limited ;). If you want a
> solution now, you're free to fix ddraw. But I registered that issue and it's
> on my lenghty todo list.

Thanks for the info. It's good to see that it's a known issue and that
it's on someones TODO list.

I'm trying to find out whether Survey.dll will be part of the final 1.10
release or if it's only part of the PTR client. I haven't had any luck
so far. I don't know why Blizzard doesn't want to give me this
information, we'll find out sooner or later (eg. the day when they
release 1.10), it just would be nice to know whether the WoW players
need a patch or not.

I'm not very familiar with wine so I probably won't be able to write a
better patch.

tom