need advise with new open-source project

Jim White jim at pagesmiths.com
Tue Mar 14 00:57:38 CST 2006

Please note: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL

Nuno Lopes wrote:

> I'm currently trying to start a new open-source project that will do
> the same as WINE did with the windows API, but for a Sony framework,
> named OPEN-R.
> I would love if you could answer my questions, so that I can make the
> project public as soon as possible.

Your questions are quite involved and many do not have clear cut
answers.  And while there are some similarities between your project's
issues and WINE's, there are some key legal differences, including
particularly legal decisions regarding Microsoft's monopoly.

Another similar situation existed with LEGO Mindstorms.  While initial
community developments were technically in violation of some terms of
the EULA (which may or may not be enforceable in some jurisdictions) the
key was LEGO's reaction.  Rather than pursuing legal action against the
community developers, they decided instead to embrace them and provide
tacit and subsequently explicit support.

If Sony were to pursue legal action against you, whether your activities
are legal or not is only secondary as the cost of defense is bound to be
prohibitive.  Perhaps you can use LEGO's example to help persuade Sony
to release the software (with no support of course) using a suitable
open source license (ideally GPL of course).

In addition to looking to the LEGO community for ideas, you might find
some help at OSI and EFF.

http://www.opensource.org/
http://www.eff.org/
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/