May be a bad idea to have Winetools in the next SUSE release

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Thu Mar 16 02:03:36 CST 2006

Am Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:55:20AM +0100 schrieb Sven Paschukat:
> Marcus Meissner schrieb:
> >Hmm, I have some kind of recommendation here.
> >
> >What about winetools using ".winetools" as WINEPREFIX setting?
> >
> >This would make it possible to keep a ".wine" for the purists, and
> >".winetools" for the "just get things done" people.
> >
> >Up to now winetools does not seem to honor a WINEPREFIX setting
> >(also a bug I think).
> >
> >Ciao, Marcus
>
> Hey, you steal Joachim's ideas ;-)
>
> That's one point we have discussed in similar form. One directory for
> the present winetools mode and another for a new builtin mode where
> winetools just acts as a menu driven loader and installer.

Sorry for the delay: I have been on CeBIT computer fair.

To come to an end with that:

Sven and I are doing the following for WineTools at the moment:

- change WineTools to use WINEPREFIX
- using a standard WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.winetools" if not set otherwise
- change * to builtin,native
- change version to WinXP
- run as many apps as possible without tweaking

The last one is the annoying one as it needs many testing *and* I know
of no way to say "do not use the default" in winecfg or the registry.
If there is a way, please mail me.

I think using the AppDB for getting install and execution infos for
programs is very hard to accomplish. We were already thinking about a
way to send data of successful installations or executions
automatically into a DB but dropped that. It would be very nice to have
but it has to be

- repeated for every version of wine
- checked for correctness
- if there are competing entries they have to be manually resolved
- probably many other problems

Regards
	Joachim von Thadden
          Never run a touchy system!!!"