Known issues area on main wiki page

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 21 01:24:11 CST 2006

Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:35 +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
>
>>Allowing users to use the Audio tab in WineCfg without forcing
>>possibly buggy libraries to load is a better option.
>
> Sure, but they are not mutually exclusive. If the current
> patch also prevents the crash, they can go well hand in hand.

Looks to me like the patch in bug #4051 only catches aRts exceptions.
Bug 4901 looks like it's caused by libasound problems.

Exception handlers can't catch system hangs, which I've seen when some
audio drivers are loaded, they can't clean up properly after the buggy
library, and the library might leave the stack or heap corrupted.

Moving the autodetect feature to a button in the Audio tab seems like a
simple design change that will solve the problem once and for all.  It
allows configuration to be done manually, even if buggy libraries are
present, which the current implementation doesn't.

Mike