Easy applications to write automated tests for?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 22 11:37:30 CST 2006

On 3/22/06, Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok.  Cygwin does pretty well if you're using it as a single user / do
> not use many processes/threads while pushing it CPU-wise.

Right -- and I think we can hew to that limitation when using
msys as part of a possible wine regression test.

> Eg., Cygwin will be able to run a ./configure script just fine, too.

Right, but modern cygwin is hard to support on wine, I think.
The old snapshot in msys is probably easier.

> > > There are a couple of other Windows-->Unix emulation kits readily
> > > available, so shouldn't be hard to find something that both runs
> > > reliably and can make ./configure scripts work...
> >
> > Oh, really?   Got URLs?
>
> MKS Toolkit
> http://www.mkssoftware.com/

Commercial, not a free download.  There's a way to apply for a trial,
but it's not easy, and you can't just download it.

> Windows Services for Unix
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/

I just tried it; it bombs on setup, complaining that the TCP/IP service
isn't installed.  But even if we fix that, downloading it requires a
Microsoft Passport account and you have to fill out an intrusive questionaire.
Also, there's no way of knowing when Microsoft will suspend free downloads.
So I think that's out.

Which kind of leaves us with msys/mingw as the prime contender, I think.
For starters, all we have to do is verify, say, that it can build and run
a hello, world app on wine.  I think that even works right now!
- Dan