CreateScalableFontResourceA: what does it mean?

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 11:18:56 CST 2006

--- Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> Friday, March 24, 2006, 12:44:46 AM, Hiji wrote:
> > There is this program, Cakewalk Sonar XL 2
> >
> (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=2615)
> > that I always try to run on Wine.  The good news
> is, I
> > can get it running, not smoothly, but it does run.
>
> > However, it tries to utilize one of its own fonts,
> and
> > always stubs on CreateScalableFontResourceA.
>
> > It hits this:
> > fixme:font:CreateScalableFontResourceA

(0,"C:\\PROG~FBU\\Cakewalk\\SONA~3TJ\\TTSNOTE.FOR","C:\\PROG~FBU\\Cakewalk\\SONA~3TJ\\TTSNOTE.TTR",(null)):
> > stub
>
> > Then the app tells me the following in a popup:
> > "Cannot create the Staff view musical symbol
> font."
>
> > Anybody know what this means or have any
> workaround
> > for making CreateScalableFontResourceA work?  I've
> > seen this problem since Dec. 2004, but since it
> hasn't
> > gone away, I thought I'd pipe up and ask about it.
>
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Hiji
>
> AFAIK that was the only way for any program to
> "temporary" install it's
> fonts. Temporary means that the font will be
> available to the current
> session only (no entirely sure here if font will
> stay after program
> closes or will be available).
>
> Vitaliy

Thanks for the tidbit - it makes things a lot clearer!
 The TTSNOTE.FOR font, I found, resides within the
application's folder in Program Files and appears to
go through this motion every time it starts up.  So,
my guess is that it goes away after the program
closes.  I know that on my Win install, the app never
permanently moves the font to my system fonts folder.

Anybody have a workaround for making this work?

Thanks!
Hiji