I have a complaint about the website

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Mar 27 14:26:32 CST 2006

> maybe if we put in a md5sum database of viruses and refuse to run those
> that are viruses?

You mean worms? Viruses modify existing files and thus it's pointless to
check whole-file checksums. Signature checking has significant runtime
impact (say a  second just to get one .exe checked), so it's not
something you'd want to do each time an .exe is about to be run. Then
there are many variations of signature checks, as some virii are
polymorphic and so on. I'd say it's best not to reinvent the wheel, and
providing a false sense of security is pretty bad.

The only real solution for the users is to run a virus scanner at regular
intervals, and additionally to maybe run wine in a chroot jail (that's a
packaging issue).

Cheers, Kuba