Winetools -> wine doors

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 19:04:04 CST 2006

penna at bb.com.br wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
>> I would love it if people would get involved, a few good coders can have
>> SVN/trac access I'll work on opening up to the public soon.
>>
>> pygtk/pyxml/wine hackers/shell scripters very welcome.
>
>       Maybe I can help with bash scripting (very good skill) .... I know
> nothing about python ... 8( ... but can learn quickly.
>       BTW, I would like to point out two suggestions:
>
> 1) you (we) should set up a winedoors-devel list. This discussion should
> be out of the wine-devel list (we should not mix things up and wine devel
> folks are already too busy)

I do not agree Wine developers can ignore threads that they are not interested
in if they wish. However they may be interested in development of these
resources. I look at it as being the same as discussions on bugzilla, winecfg,
the AppDB or the Wiki.

> 2) the winedoors should return some information to the AppDB in order to
> keep that information for the wine devel folks get some feedback what is
> going on with, for example, DLL overrides. For example, if the AppDB keeps
> track of the most overriden DLLs (information "feeded" by winedoors - or
> winetools 8)) I think wine developers could query the database in order to
> see which DLL needs some improvement because its is the most one
> overriden.

I agree that this would be useful to wine developers if the AppDB had this, even
  if nothing else comes out of this discussion.

One other consideration to take into account when dealing with dll overrides is
that we cannot assume that everyone is legally entitled to use just any dll. It
should be the is the responsibility of each individual to make. sure they are
entitled to use them.