Debugging X errors?

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 14:25:26 CST 2006

Andreas Mohr wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 03:39:43AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
>

>>OK, I've had it.  The X errors I'm running into are keeping
>>me from getting work done.  They might be due to
>>bugs in my X server (ubuntu 05.10), but while I wait
>>for the next release of ubuntu, maybe I could try
>>to track them down anyway.
>>

>Good idea ;)
>

>>It looks like the procedure for diagnosing X errors such as
>>
>>X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>>  Major opcode of failed request:  17 (X_GetAtomName)
>>  Atom id in failed request:  0x0
>>  Serial number of failed request:  468
>>  Current serial number in output stream:  470
>>in Wine is to do
>>  WINEDEBUG=+synchronous
>>  export WINEDEBUG
>>and then use winedbg to run the apps, and get a backtrace
>>when the error occurs.  I'll try that.
>>

>Random semi-helpful notes I've been writing down about that:
>----------
>SOLUTION:
>
>  gdb: b _XError
>        b wxXErrorHandler
>
>  How do I trace the cause of an X11 error such as BadMatch?
>
>   When a fatal X11 error occurs, the application quits with no stack trace.
>   To find out where the problem is, put a breakpoint on g_log (b g_log in
>   gdb).
>

>Unexpected async reply" is commonly due to a multi-threaded app with
>Motif/Xlib calls from more than 1 thread; or to Motif/Xlib calls from
>a signal handler.
>
>http://www.rahul.net/kenton/perrors.html
>
>try:
>XSynchronize(display, True);
>for debugging
>

>Maybe can happen if app is overwriting Xlib-owned memory...
>----------
>

>Andreas Mohr

Do this as either your user or as root (via sudo): X -version

Email us the ful output (drag the mouse over the top line to the next
line that is your shell and middle click in yor email client to paste)

sorry if i treated you like a idiot, but some people don't realize that
X has 2 clipboards per se, one done by X itself, and another handled by
QT/GTK+/Wine (Try this: select some text in Wine, and middle click in a
Xterm, nothing happens! Go back to the Windows app, tell it to copy the
text, and try to paste it into the xterm, nothing again! I think it's a
bug IMHO)