OT: General behaviour of the community (from 'Why winetools is utterly useless, once and for all')

Dr J A Gow J.A.Gow at furrybubble.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 14:23:20 CST 2006

I was interested to read several comments on this list in respect of such
comments as 'IQ of zero'. Such comments were the final straw in leading me to
take this action.

A few days ago I sent a comment to the list. Nothing really sinister, just an
observation and an experience. Before long I had a particularly vicious and vile
diatribe sent in reply to my comment - to my private email address. I have
appended the lower headers and the bulk of the message I received at the end of
this message (trimming the html from the bottom).

I thought long and hard before taking this action. It is not something I would
normally do, but in this instance I was so incensed at this individual's
behaviour that I felt that 'naming and shaming' was the only way forward. Not
even so much as to the fact that he directed his comments to me, but more the
fact that had I been a new prospective developer, the effect such diatribe would
have would not in any way be positive. It certainly would taint their perception
of the open-source community. Furthermore I sincerely doubt that I am the only
one to experience this behaviour. Others may just suffer in silence.

I have worked with many smaller community projects, on OS/2 and latterly on
Linux, and never been subjected to this kind of abuse from members of the
community. I joined this list because I felt that there was something I could
contribute to Wine, and in the instance it turned out that there was. I did not
join it to receive unsolicited email of an abusive nature from members of the
community.

Had he done this by telephone I could have had him prosecuted, at least in the
UK. But he hides behind a gmail.com address and makes comments I seriously
suspect he would not have the balls to say to my face.

No, I do not believe that we need a 'net police force'. Common decency between
individuals, however, is essential. Diversity, discussion, criticism,
expression, even annoyance are all valuable when driving a project forward.
Blatant personal abuse is not tolerable. It is not tolerable in society, it
should not be tolerated in the developer community. The community needs to
police itself, rather than be policed, and individuals who bring the community
into disrepute need to be dealt with by the community. That is why I bring this
into the open.

How to prevent such actions? I do not think it that this is possible in its
entirety. I can (and have) simply add this individual's address to my blocked
list. However, I may have been a newcomer to open-source development who would
not have been so tolerant, and whose opinions of the community may have been
changed by this action. May I suggest that whoever is responsible for the
hosting of the mailing list change the configuration so that email addresses are
not placed in the header? (I am no expert on mailing-list software but it does
not immediately seem to be impractical.) That way all replies have to go to the
list and this would prevent such unsolicited email being sent.

This is my last word on this matter. Make of it what you will. I refuse to be
prevented from contributing to vital projects such as Wine when I can by the
antics of some depraved individual. It has left a sour taste in my mouth though,
and like it or not, it does not portray Wine developers in a good light.

Disposition-Notification-To: Segin <segin2005 at gmail.com>