OT: General behaviour of the community (from 'Why winetools is utterly useless, once and for all')

Jason Green jave27 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:37:53 CST 2006

On 3/29/06, Dr J A Gow <J.A.Gow at furrybubble.co.uk> wrote:
> I was interested to read several comments on this list in respect of such
> comments as 'IQ of zero'. Such comments were the final straw in leading me to
> take this action.

Thank you.  It sometimes takes a thick skin to ignore the petty and
childish rants that are prevalent online.  Anonymity (or
pseudo-anonymity in this case) often leads to childishness, and has
done so since the beginnings of the Net.  It gives the impression to
potential new users and developers that the "community" is hostile and
unwelcoming.  I experienced a little bit of myself when asking my
first couple of [naive] questions in IRC at #winehq.

While it's completely understandable that people will get tired of
seeing the same questions posted over and over again, there's no need
to get hostile about it unless the user asking the questions gets
hostile or demanding themselves (and even then, restraint or kick/ban
would be preferable).  If someone asks a "stupid question" (entirely
subjective, remember), just ignore it or point to a place where they
can learn the answer themselves.  Please don't be a jerk.

Thanks.