Direct3D, the kernel and ReactOS

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.de
Thu Mar 30 09:07:32 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:29:03AM -0500, Kuba Ober wrote:

> Technically sufficient, maybe, but it might be actually illegal to install
> Direct X on anything non-windows.

Might be or is? Or will be like dcom? At least with dcom ms made the
point clear. they just dont provide it beside the os. but i can not
remember a single game in my collection, that does came with the
dx-package needed to run it (i hardly remember anything that came with
dcom98.exe). so does anybody knows the actual license or is there
anything known what ms has in mind in the near future?

> I bet there are non-gaming 3D applications that use it. CAD systems
> come to mind. I think that for example Solid Edge uses Direct X (no,
> didn't try to get it running under wine yet).

yeah i am sure there are lots of non-game applications that utilize
directx - dsound for sound apps, d3d for cad, office, 3d, ... and so on.

all in all i know close to nothing what goes on the various dlls - but
from a point of view like this it seems to be a lot of work to redo the
work of others if there is no real need for it, like e.g. accessing
hardware or operating system stuff. license issues aside i would only a
consider a massive performance gain something that is worth it (and
there still remains the question, why is that original dll so much
slower with the underlying framework then). and of course its a lot
easier to implement something that is *cough* well documented than
something that is totally unknown to mankind.

--
cu